What is ABA and IBI?

Applied Behavioural Analysis (ABA)

Applied behaviour analysis focuses on the principles that explain how learning takes place. Positive reinforcement is one such principle. When a behaviour is followed by some sort of reward, the behaviour is more likely to be repeated. Through decades of research, the field of behaviour analysis has developed many techniques for increasing useful behaviours and reducing those that may cause harm or interfere with learning.

Applied behaviour analysis (ABA) is the use of these techniques and principles to bring about meaningful and positive change in behaviour.

IMG_2119Behaviour analysts began working with young children with autism and related disorders in the 1960s. Early techniques often involved adults directing most of the instruction. Some allowed the child to take the lead. Since that time, a wide variety of ABA techniques have been developed for building useful skills in learners with autism – from toddlers through adulthood.

These techniques can be used in structured situations such as a classroom lesson as well as in “everyday” situations such as family dinnertime or the neighborhood playground. Some ABA therapy sessions involve one-on-one interaction between the behavior analyst and the participant. Group instruction can likewise prove useful.

Implemented and researched for years, research has shown that this is the only scientifically proven method that is an effective intervention for kids on the Autism spectrum.  Research has proven that kids with 20-40 hours of ABA per week (beginning before 4 years of age and lasting for approx 2 years) have a 48% recovery rate with significant improvement in most of the other 52%.

Intensive Behavioural Intervention (IBI)

IBI Therapy stands for Intensive Behavioural Intervention, which is based on the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA). This approach uses systematic behavioural teaching methods, has clearly defined strategies & goals, is individualized to the needs of each child, and incorporates changes based upon direct measurement of each child’s learning.  IBI is intensive – over 20 hours of therapy per week.  IBI therapy is most successful when it is individualized, begins early, involves parents, and is delivered by qualified staff.

Join Us On Facebook!